Karela – 6 (5 inch long pieces)
Yogurt – 1/2 cup, whisked
Onion – 3, sliced
Tomato – 2, chopped
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
Water as required
Salt as per taste
1. Scrape karelas and set aside.
2. Make a vertical cut on the karelas and remove seeds.
3. Apply salt on the karelas and a little on the inside as well. Marinate for 8 hours in the fridge.
4. Wash the karelas well and drain. In medium hot oil fry the karelas till light brown. Drain on paper napkins and set aside.
5. In 2 tbsp oil, fry onions brown, add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft.
6. Mix all the spices with 1/2 cup water. Add to tomato mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add whisked yogurt and cook for 2 minutes stirring well.
8. Now add the fried karelas and cook covered on low flame for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Serve hot.