2 1/2 cups refined flour
3/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg and yolk of 1 egg
3/4 cup margarine or butter
2 tbsp milk
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp water
A few halved walnuts
1. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Mix in butter
3. Add sugar, egg, milk and 1 tsp vanilla essence and chopped walnuts.
4. Knead to a smooth dough. Chill.
5. Roll into small and flat balls.
6. Press walnut in the centre of each cake.
7. Mix water and egg yolk.
8. Brush the top of each cake with the egg yolk mixture and bake in a moderate over for 25 minutes.