Pomfret – 1 (1/2 to 1 pound)
Small okras – 10
Tomato – 1, cut into wedges
Fish curry powder/Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Daun kesum (Vietnamese Mint/Vietnamese Coriander) – 2 sprigs
Cooking oil – 5 tbsp
Palm sugar/Plain sugar – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Garlic – 1 clove
Lemon grass – 1 stalk, white part only
Shallots – 4
Dried chillies as per taste
Prawn paste – 1/2 tbsp
Water – 1 1/4 cup
1. Grind the spice paste ingredients properly and keep aside.
2. Extract the tamarind pulp by soaking it in warm water for 15 minutes. Squeeze pulp constantly to extract the flavor into the water. Drain the pulp and keep the tamarind juice.
3. Fry the battered spice paste in hot oil for 2 minutes or until they generate an aroma.
4. Add the tamarind juice, fish curry powder or turmeric powder and bring to boil.
5. Add gradually the tomato wedges, okras, salt and palm sugar or plain sugar and finally the fish.
6. Cook on a lower flame for 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
7. Serve hot.