Fish – 1/2 kg, filleted and cubed
Oil – 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Bay leaves – 2 to 3
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Onions – 2 cups, grated
Tomatoes – 1/2 cup, grated
Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Garam masala – 2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
Salt as per taste
1. Take a heavy based saucepan and heat the oil in it. Put in the cumin seeds and the bay leaves.
2. Slowly, as the seeds start to crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic till it turns brown.
3. Add the tomatoes and fry till the fat separates. Then add the yogurt and blend it well taking care to see that it does not curdle.
4. Again, wait till the fat separates and add the salt, turmeric, coriander powder and the garam masala along with the chilli powder. Mix the mixture properly.
5. Now, add the fish on high heat and stir.
6. Next, Add the 1 1/2 cups of water and simmer till the fish is cooked through.
7. Serve hot and garnish with chopped coriander leaves