Medium Shrimp – 750 gms, peeled, deveined and marinated in salt for 15 minutes
Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 1/2 tsp
Cardamom – 10 pods
Cinnamon stick – 1 two inch piece
Bay leaf – 1
Garlic – 2 tbsp, minced
Fresh ginger – 2 tbsp, minced
Onion – 1, medium sized and finely chopped
Curry powder – 2 tsp
Cayenne pepper – 1 tsp
Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Fresh lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Coconut flakes – 2 tbsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt as per taste
1. Fry the mustard seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaf in vegetable oil for about 2 minutes or until they turn fragrant.
2. Add sliced onions, ginger and garlic and fry for another 3 minutes or till the onions get golden brown.
3. Add curry powder, cayenne pepper and cook for about 2 minutes or until the mixture emits an aroma.
4. Now pour the tomato puree and coconut milk and cook until the oil separates from the sauce.
5. Lower the flame and pour water as required to cook and make a sauce like consistency and add salt to taste. Saute for few minutes keeping the pan uncovered and stirring occasionally.
6. Add the shrimps and mix properly. Cover the pan and cook for about 5 minutes or until the shrimps are done.
7. At the end add lemon juice and mix.
8. Transfer it to a serving dish and garnish it with coconut flakes.