This Jamaican style Shrimp Peri Peri is a popular appetizer dish served over rice. Peri Peri is a spicy sauce having its origins in Africa, specifically Mozambique.
Shrimps – 350 gms, peeled, deveined, large ones
Red Capsicum – 1, small, chopped
Paprika – 2 tblsp
Spring Onions – 2, chopped
Butter – 2 tblsp, melted
Oil – 2 tblsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tblsp
White Vinegar – 2 tblsp
Red Chillies – 2 to 3 (or as per taste)
Garlic – 4 cloves
Juice and Rind of 1 Lemon
Ginger – 1 inch piece, chopped
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder as per taste
1. Heat oil and butter in a pan over medium flame.
2. Saute the capsicums, garlic and spring onions for a minute or two.
3. Remove and transfer to a mixer jar.
4. Add all the other ingredients and 1/2 tblsp of salt, except shrimp and blend well to a fine paste, adding required water.
5. Sprinkle salt and pepper powder on the shrimps.
6. Add 2 to 3 tblsp of the ground paste and mix well.
7. Keep aside for 6 to 8 hours or preferably overnight.
8. Next day, heat a grill pan over medium flame.
9. Grill the marinated shrimps for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through.
10. Serve with rice along with any leftover marinade.