8 medium sized karelas
2 medium sized onions
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp chilli powder
oil for frying
salt to taste
1. Boil the potatoes. Scrape off the scaly skin of the karelas and keep them immersed in salt water for half an hour.
2. Drain off the water and slit the karelas lengthwise on one side. Apply a little salt on the insides and keep aside for a few minutes.
3. Peel and mash the boiled potatoes.
4. Chop onions, tomato and green chillies.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan, add chopped onions, green chillies and fry for a while.
6. Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chilli powder, salt and fry for a few minutes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes, mashed potatoes and fry well.
8. Add the lemon juice before removing from the fire.
9. Stuff karelas with this filling and tie with a string.
10. Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the stuffed karelas on all sides until done.
Bharwa Karela Recipe