Basmathi rice – 2 cups
Black masoor (whole) – 1 cup
Small potatoes – 1/2 kg
Tomatoes 1/4 kg
Big onions – 4
Salt – as required
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Fresh curds – 1 1/2 cups
Coriander leaves – 1 small bunch
Green chillies – 6
Cut mint leaves – 2 tbl sps
Ghee – 6 tlsp
Saffron – little
Red Chillies – 6
Garlic – 4 flakes
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. Cook masoor separately in enough water till it becomes soft. Drain excess water.
2. Mix little salt to the cooked masoor.
3. Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Cook in enough water, allow it to cool and separate the grains.
4. Cut onions and green chillies into long pieces and tomatoes finely.
5. Pressure cook potatoes and peel the outer skin.
6. Heat ghee in a frying pan, add green chillies and onion.
7. Fry for two minutes and add ground masala.
8. Cook till oil is separated, then add tomatoes.
9. Stir continuously till tomatoes becomes soft and pulpy.
10. Take a non-stick pan or heavy bottomed vessel and pour rest of the ghee to that.
11. Tilt the pan, so that complete pan is greased (sides also)
12. Spread fried masala and on top spread cooked dal.
13. Pour beaten curds and then arrange peeled potatoes on top of that.
14. Sprinkle garam masala powder, finely cut mint leaves and coriander leaves.
15. Dissolve saffron in little warm milk and pour on top.
16. Finally layer cooked rice which is mixed with enough salt and little ghee.
17. Pat well on top.
18. Reduce flame completely, cover with a tight lid and keep under dhum for 10-15 minutes.
19. Serve hot.
20. While serving carefully turn the vessel upside down on serving plate. Serve as it is, without mixing layers.
Masoor Pulao Recipe
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Masoor Pulao from Awesome Cuisine.