Sugarcane is an integral part of the Pongal festival. Sugarcane denotes happiness and sweetness. It also symbolizes a firm and balanced mind.
Raw Rice – 2 cups
Moong Dal – 1 cup
Sugarcane Juice – 4 to 5 cups
Dates – 1/2 cup, chopped, seedless
Cashew Nuts – 3 to 4 tblsp, chopped
Cardamom Powder – little
Ghee as required
1. Dry roast the moong dal for a minute.
2. Combine this with the rice and wash well.
3. Transfer to a pressure cooker.
4. Pour the sugarcane juice and equal quantity of water.
5. Pressure cook over medium flame until 3 whistles and remove.
6. Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
7. Stir-fry the dates, cashewnuts and cardamom powder for a minute.
8. Add this to the cooked rice and dal mixture.
9. Stir well and serve at once.