Parboiled rice - 2 cups
Raw rice - 2 cups
Black gram dal - 1 cup
Cooked rice - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
A pinch baking soda
Oil for smearing moulds
1. Soak the 2 kinds of rice together with water. Soak the black gram dal in water separately, And let both soak for a minimum of 5-6 hours.
2. Thoroughly wash the black gram dal and grind adding water, Till the mixture is smooth, Light and frothy. Wash and grind the 2 kinds of rice and the cooked rice into a paste without making it absolutely smooth as one does for dosais.
Add salt to taste and mix thoroughly. Pour into a large bowl and allow to ferment overnight.
3. Mix the batter again in the morning, and add baking soda, First mixing it in a spoon of batter. Mix well. The batter should be thick like cake batter. Water may b added if it is too thick.
4. Smear idli moulds with oil, and pour the batter in each of them till they are three quarters full. Steam the idlis in a pressure cooker or a stremaer for about 10 minutes.
5. Serve hot with chutney, molagapudi or sambhar.
Latest Video Recipes
Have you tried this simple and tasty Idli recipe from Awesome Cuisine?
Share your tips or leave a comment below.