Brinjals stuffed with masala and roasted in ghee. Serve as a side dish with roti or naan.
Kathirikai (Brinjals) – 3 to 4
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee as required
1. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
2. Saute the onions, green chillies and tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, sambar powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
4. Stir well.
5. Discard the stems of the brinjals and slice them into quarters, ensuring the bottom is intact. Do not cut through.
6. Stuff the brinjals with the onion mixture.
7. Add some more ghee to the pan.
8. Place the stuffed brinjals to the pan and cook on low flame, turning the brinjals from time to time.
9. Sprinkle a little salt and cover the pan with a lid.
10. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until the brinjals are well cooked.
11. Remove and serve as a side dish with roti.