Thoothuvalai Keerai (botanical name: Trilobatum Leaves) is commonly used in Ayurveda and Siddha medicine to treat cold, cough and sore throats. In villages, the leaves are crushed to extract juice and mixed with little honey. Then it is taken early in the morning on an empty stomach.
Thoothuvalai Keerai – 2 handfuls, thorns removed, cleaned, washed
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
Tamarind – a small ball
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the urad dal, bengal gram dal, dry red chillies and asafoetida powder for 45 to 60 seconds.
3. Remove and keep aside.
4. Add the keerai to the same pan and saute for a minute. Switch off the flame.
5. Grind the tamarind, salt and keerai to a smooth paste in a mixie.
6. Add the reserved dal mixture and grind to a coarse paste.
7. Serve with rice.