1 kg. Firm white pumpkin
800 gms. sugar
2 tsp. calcium hydroxide (kitchen lime)
1/2 tsp. alum powder
1 tsp. rose water
3-4 drops kewra essence
2 cups water
- Dissolve alum in 1/2 cup water. Keep aside.
- Dissolve lime in 1 litre water, strain with a clean cloth, twice if required.
- Peel pumpkin, dicard seeds, mushy centre.
- Cut into 1"x2"x1" rectangular blocks or as desired.
- Prick all over with a metal skewer or fork.
- Put pieces in lime water. Soak for 30-35 minutes.
- Drain, wash under clean running water for 2-3 minutes.
- Put in a bowl, sprinkle alum water, shake to coat all pieces evenly.
- Drain, boil pieces in a large heavy pan, till a little soft and exuding water.
- Make a syrup of sugar and water, till 2 1/2 thread consistency (refer syrup method)
- Put drained pumpkin pieces in syrup, boil till syrup becomes thick again.
- Keep covered with a mesh, overnight.
- Drain, boil syrup again till thick, add pieces, reboil for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain out excess syrup, sprinkle essence and rose water.
- Cool completely, refrigerate.