Chana Dal – 250 gms
Coconut – 1/2
Powdered Cardamoms – 4
Jaggery – 250 gms, grated (or powdered sugar)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Flour – 250 gms
Soda Bicarb – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 cups
Banana Leaf or plastic sheet
1. Soak the dal in water for 1 hour.
2. Boil till they are half cooked. Drain.
3. Add coconut, cardamom powder and jaggery. Grind.
4. Mix together turmeric, flour, soda bicarb and oil.
5. Knead well to make a pliable dough.
6. Make walnut sized balls of the dough.
7. Keep aside.
8. Prepare slightly smaller balls of the jaggery and dal mixture.
9. Press down the dough to form thin flat rounds and place the jaggery-dal balls on this.
10. Flatten, leaving a 1 inch rim all around.
11. Fold dough over and inwards on four sides to meet and join in the centre.
12. Take a banana leaf or plastic sheet and smear oil over it.
13. Press on the bobbatlu to make it smooth and even.
14. Heat oil in a pan.
15. Fry each one evenly on both sides till golden brown.
16. Remove and drain.